Pedal power for Dunmow mayor
IDEAL conditions helped Dunmow s mayor to complete a gruelling 60-mile bike ride for charity. Cllr Gwynn Davies took part in the London to Cambridge bike ride last weekend, and raised almost �600 for the Royal National Lifeboat Association and children s
IDEAL conditions helped Dunmow's mayor to complete a gruelling 60-mile bike ride for charity.
Cllr Gwynn Davies took part in the London to Cambridge bike ride last weekend, and raised almost �600 for the Royal National Lifeboat Association and children's charity Accuro.
He said: "The course is very undulating and, about halfway through, one particular hill near to Elmdon nearly forced me to get off and walk. I managed to carry on though and grind my way to the top.
"Thankfully it was a very pleasant day."
You may also want to watch:
Most of the money collected by Cllr Davies came from kind donations from members of St Mary's Church and the Catholic Church in Dunmow, as well as from his own Chelmsford choir group.
He also put up posters around town to try and encourage more donations. Some people donated online.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New cycle network consultation announced
- 3 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 4 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 5 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
"I am very pleased," he said. "It was great to raise money for my chosen charities, so thank you to everyone who donated.
"The race attracts a great range of people, from amateurs to professionals, and it was great to be involved.