Parish council hand over funds for anti-airport expansion group
A LARGE cash donation has re-illustrated a parish council s determination to fight against the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport. Takeley Parish Council handed over �10,000 to the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) this week, and also p
A LARGE cash donation has re-illustrated a parish council's determination to fight against the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport.
Takeley Parish Council handed over �10,000 to the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) this week, and also pledged another �10,000 to the group for the new financial year in April.
Following a unanimous vote for the donation last summer, council chairman Richard Cheetham presented the first instalment on Monday.
He said: "Takeley Parish Council and this community have always opposed expansion at Stansted Airport.
You may also want to watch:
"The council, supported by the community, believes that this is the most economically efficient way of galvanizing a thorough and expert opposition case to the proposals. This council is also drawing on SSE expertise to prepare its own case on behalf of Takeley residents."
Donations and pledges to the SSE Second Runway Fighting Fund have now reached �85,000, much of which has come from parish and town councils.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- 3 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 4 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 5 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 6 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 7 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 8 Archaeologists find remains of Iron Age village
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
But with just over 10 weeks until the confirmed start of a public inquiry into the proposals for the extra runway, the group are still some way short of their �200,000 target.
Anyone wishing to make a donation can do so by sending a cheque payable to SSE at PO Box 311, Takeley CM23 6PY. Further information is available from the campaign office on 01279 870558.
Airport owners BAA believe that a second runway and terminal is needed at Stansted to cater for projected demand in air travel over the next few decades.
A spokesman said: "Current lack of capacity will increasingly impact on leisure and business travellers alike. Holidays, short breaks, visiting friends and family will be among the things increasingly difficult to do unless we plan ahead.
"Our local and regional economy must not be left behind in the global marketplace as other countries leap ahead and take advantage of the opportunities that aviation brings.