Parish clerk collects prestigious award
A SPECIAL town award has been presented to Great Dunmow s parish clerk. Mayor Clive Smith chaired a specially-arranged council meeting to formally present Owen Wilson with the highest town honour Dunmow has to offer. After 17 years as the town clerk, Mr W
A SPECIAL town award has been presented to Great Dunmow's parish clerk.
Mayor Clive Smith chaired a specially-arranged council meeting to formally present Owen Wilson with the highest town honour Dunmow has to offer.
After 17 years as the town clerk, Mr Wilson became only the fourth person in history to receive the prestigious certificate for services to the town.
Mr Wilson said: "I am very honoured to receive this award as it is 17 years to the day since I took up the appointment.
"During that period there has been a major expansion of the role of the town council and the services it provides. Meeting the challenges of that has made the post very varied and fulfilling. There has literally never been a dull moment.
"The award will be a treasured reminder of my service to my home town, a place that I hold very dearly in my heart."
- 1 Bid launched for 120 new homes in Great Dunmow
- 2 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 3 Great Dunmow Primary pupil donates hair to children with cancer
- 4 Who are the runners and riders to replace Boris Johnson as PM?
- 5 New crematorium opens in Dunmow
- 6 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 7 Eight in a row for Dunmow, as Aythorpe Roding edge home
- 8 Boris Johnson will resign as Tory leader today
- 9 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 10 Boris Johnson quits as prime minister but vows to stay until October
Mr Smith paid a tribute to the clerk in front of a councillors and members of the public at Foakes Hall.
He said: "Owen has been a truly great aid to both the council and the town. He has overseen campaigns against proposed asylum centres and extra houses being built and has helped with major projects such as the current construction of the town square at White Street.
"It is a truly enormous honour to present him with this award and we all hope he continues with his great work.