Parish clerk collects prestigious award
A SPECIAL town award has been presented to Great Dunmow s parish clerk. Mayor Clive Smith chaired a specially-arranged council meeting to formally present Owen Wilson with the highest town honour Dunmow has to offer. After 17 years as the town clerk, Mr W
A SPECIAL town award has been presented to Great Dunmow's parish clerk.
Mayor Clive Smith chaired a specially-arranged council meeting to formally present Owen Wilson with the highest town honour Dunmow has to offer.
After 17 years as the town clerk, Mr Wilson became only the fourth person in history to receive the prestigious certificate for services to the town.
Mr Wilson said: "I am very honoured to receive this award as it is 17 years to the day since I took up the appointment.
You may also want to watch:
"During that period there has been a major expansion of the role of the town council and the services it provides. Meeting the challenges of that has made the post very varied and fulfilling. There has literally never been a dull moment.
"The award will be a treasured reminder of my service to my home town, a place that I hold very dearly in my heart."
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 8 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
Mr Smith paid a tribute to the clerk in front of a councillors and members of the public at Foakes Hall.
He said: "Owen has been a truly great aid to both the council and the town. He has overseen campaigns against proposed asylum centres and extra houses being built and has helped with major projects such as the current construction of the town square at White Street.
"It is a truly enormous honour to present him with this award and we all hope he continues with his great work.