FLIPPING, cooking and racing took place across the Dunmow area on Tuesday as children (and some grown ups!) celebrated Pancake Day. To mark the start of Lent, pupils from primary and secondary schools took part in races around the playground, flipping bat
FLIPPING, cooking and racing took place across the Dunmow area on Tuesday as children (and some grown ups!) celebrated Pancake Day.
To mark the start of Lent, pupils from primary and secondary schools took part in races around the playground, flipping batter-filled frying pans along the way.
Dunmow Primary School headteacher, Sylvia Ruck, said: "We let the children out into the playground with frying pans that they bring in that morning. They all really love doing it. Sometimes the hard part is getting them to calm down again!"
Year 3 pupil Danny Wood showed he could toss a pancake better than most as flipped it over five times without stopping.
You may also want to watch:
At Felsted Schools the annual pancake race took place in the historic grounds as pupils competed in their designated houses and ran around the main buildings of the school.
Pancakes were also on the menu at Helena Romanes School, Dunmow, as kitchen staff served an array of delicious savoury and sweet versions.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
A school spokesman said: "Our pupils always love this time of year and we try to tie in connection to Shrove Tuesday in most of our lessons."
Send us your Pancake Day pictures and stories and we will put them online at www.dunmowbroadcast24.co.uk