Out of control bonfire destroys Essex property

PUBLISHED: 10:18 19 July 2010

Fire Service

Fire Service

Archant

A BONFIRE that got out of control threatened to burn down an entire house at the weekend, sparking firefighters to issue a stark warning to homeowners.

A BONFIRE that got out of control threatened to burn down an entire house at the weekend, sparking firefighters to issue a stark warning to homeowners.

The blaze, at a home in Browns End Road, Broxted, started when a garden bonfire spread to a single-story annex at the rear of the property at 9.30am on Sunday.

Four crews were called in to tackle the fire but it completely destroyed the wooden outbuilding which was unoccupied at the time but had just been refurbished for rent.

Firefighters battled for an hour and finally brought the flames under control before they could spread to the main property.

Assistant divisional officer Ian Adams said it was an accidental fire that had got “out of control”.

He added: “This is a particularly popular time for clearing up the house and garden and we would urge people to pay close attention to where they are lighting fires, particularly if there are surrounding buildings.

“Fires should be set in a contained environment, well away from buildings. People should take account of the weather conditions, particularly the wind. Domestic bonfires should never be left unattended as they can cause very serious damage if they burn out of control.

“The safest course of action is definitely to dispose of your rubbish and unwanted household items at the local refuse tip.”

The incident was dealt with by 11.30am and crews revisited the property at 2.15pm to ensure that the fire had not re-ignited.

DID you see anything? E-mail or text us your pictures and stories. Click on the Contact Us tab at the top of the page to see how to get in touch.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast