‘Essex girl’ Ellen celebrates her 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
An ‘original Essex girl’ celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday at a Dunmow care home.
Ellen Rusch, a resident at Croft House Care Home, received a birthday card from the Queen and marked the day with her daughter and son-in-law, who were visiting from Australia.
Ellen was born in Stepney in 1919 and grew up in Poplar before moving to Ashdon where she lived for 40 years.
Daughter Susan Thynne spoke about her mother’s fondness for singing.
“She loved singing. She knows all of the war songs possible. She used to like singing on the microphone in the pub, she has a great singing voice,” Susan said.
You may also want to watch:
Ellen married Arthur Rusch when she was 25 and had two children, Susan, and Michael, who lives in Clavering.
Susan said: “She likes to laugh a lot. She is always very happy. She likes people.”
- 1 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 2 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 3 Universal Credit: Help is still out there, says Essex County Council
- 4 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 5 Book exchange opens in Dunmow
- 6 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 7 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 8 Tributes paid to PC Tris Baker who died in Roxwell collision
- 9 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 10 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council
Son-in-law Peter joked: “She is the original Essex girl.”