Olive shows she's up for the cup!
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics. Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 4
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics.
Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 40 years of service to local and national clubs and organisations.
She said: "I was completely surprised by the award as it was a tough category. Many people give up their spare time and volunteer to help out with various sports.
"I am happy to have dedicated a large part of life to helping others achieve their sporting goals and ensuring that British Athletics continues to produce the goods at the highest level."
You may also want to watch:
The UK Athletics Awards Dinner 2008 celebrated the work of club members across the sport of athletics with a range of awards at a champagne evening at the National Motorcycle Museum in Solihull, near Birmingham.
The night also included a champagne presentation to Team GB's Paralympic heroes and Christine Ohuruogu, who was announced British Olympic Association athlete of the year after her 400m victory.
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 4 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Award for off-duty police officer who saved a man's life
- 7 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 8 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 9 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 10 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
Mrs Megit, who is also a volunteer at the Dunmow Art Gallery, said: "It was a great evening and one I will never forget. It was wonderful to be recognised so highly amongst some of the best athletes in the country."
What do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.