Olive shows she's up for the cup!
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics. Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 4
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics.
Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 40 years of service to local and national clubs and organisations.
She said: "I was completely surprised by the award as it was a tough category. Many people give up their spare time and volunteer to help out with various sports.
"I am happy to have dedicated a large part of life to helping others achieve their sporting goals and ensuring that British Athletics continues to produce the goods at the highest level."
You may also want to watch:
The UK Athletics Awards Dinner 2008 celebrated the work of club members across the sport of athletics with a range of awards at a champagne evening at the National Motorcycle Museum in Solihull, near Birmingham.
The night also included a champagne presentation to Team GB's Paralympic heroes and Christine Ohuruogu, who was announced British Olympic Association athlete of the year after her 400m victory.
- 1 Man fined for driving to Dunmow to exercise dog
- 2 Tributes are paid to much loved vet Stephen Flood
- 3 Try this: MasterChef winner Chef Webb's recipe for roasted chicken supreme
- 4 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 5 Eve creates cerebral palsy awareness stamps
- 6 Farm wins best Pick Your Own category in awards
- 7 Another award for Old Park Meadow
- 8 Two dogs stolen as Uttlesford dog owners voice concern
- 9 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 10 Co-op windows are smashed and cigarettes stolen
Mrs Megit, who is also a volunteer at the Dunmow Art Gallery, said: "It was a great evening and one I will never forget. It was wonderful to be recognised so highly amongst some of the best athletes in the country."
What do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.