Olive shows she's up for the cup!
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics. Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 4
A SPORTS enthusiast has exceeded her own expectations by winning a coveted national award for her commitment to UK athletics.
Olive Megit, from Great Dunmow, was awarded with The Frank Starkie Memorial Cup for Services to Athletics after completing over 40 years of service to local and national clubs and organisations.
She said: "I was completely surprised by the award as it was a tough category. Many people give up their spare time and volunteer to help out with various sports.
"I am happy to have dedicated a large part of life to helping others achieve their sporting goals and ensuring that British Athletics continues to produce the goods at the highest level."
The UK Athletics Awards Dinner 2008 celebrated the work of club members across the sport of athletics with a range of awards at a champagne evening at the National Motorcycle Museum in Solihull, near Birmingham.
The night also included a champagne presentation to Team GB's Paralympic heroes and Christine Ohuruogu, who was announced British Olympic Association athlete of the year after her 400m victory.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 A giant snail, sporting success and live music: school news
- 3 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 4 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 7 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 8 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 9 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 10 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
Mrs Megit, who is also a volunteer at the Dunmow Art Gallery, said: "It was a great evening and one I will never forget. It was wonderful to be recognised so highly amongst some of the best athletes in the country."
What do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.