Nothing will be done about dangerous bend until someone is seriously injured, says county councillor
- Credit: Archant
Unless someone is seriously injured or killed in a crash nothing will be done to improve safety on a dangerous bend, according to an Essex County councillor.
Cllr Simon Walsh made the claim after being approached by the Broadcast over the accident blackspot on the B184, in Great Easton, following a plea from an angry resident. It comes one year after a number of homes had to be evacuated when a car crashed into a garden, hitting a gas main and electricity pole.
And eight months after a traffic island was destroyed when a vehicle smashed into it, there is still no replacement.
Cllr Walsh said: “Unless the accidents are very serious in terms of casualties they do not get prioritised. The priority across the network has been potholes. When that’s clear we can move on to other matters. There is so much out there to be done.”
Cllr Walsh also put the accidents down to driver behaviour and added that they “cannot do more than there already is”.
Resident Joe Turnbull has witnessed countless accidents on the bend and is demanding something is done now before it is too late.
He said: “My worst fear is that someone will be killed. There have been three or four crashes in the past four months and they all come up on the grass verge where the children cross.
- 1 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 2 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 5 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 6 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 7 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 8 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
- 9 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
“It is a joke that the traffic island has not been replaced. It is making the area look messy and people are not going to want to buy one of these new houses around here if it looks like this.
“We pay our Council Tax and everything else and this is what we get. This is not very good.”