Nordic walking taster session in Great Dunmow
The new sport of Nordic walking is coming to Great Dunmow.
Uttlesford District Council has developed a weekly Nordic walking programme across the district, and the authority is hosting a taster session on the Recreation Ground. Meet at the Dourdan Pavilion car park on February 27 at 9.15am for a 9.30am start.
Nordic walking involves using poles to give your whole body a workout and is becoming increasingly popular in Britain. It exercises the upper body muscles as well as the legs in the same way as a cross-trainer in the gym.
Councillor Howard Rolfe, the council’s cabinet member for communities and partnerships with responsibility for health and wellbeing, said: “This is a great way for residents to get out and about, have fun and get fit at the same time.
“If you enjoy walking, come along and try Nordic walking.”
On completion of the course participants will be able join other like-minded people walking to keep fit. The Nordic walking taster session is ideal for those who like outdoor activity and would be interested in giving Nordic walking a go.
Following the taster session, a four-week course starts on March 6 until and including March 27 at the same venue and time. Each session lasts about one hour and the cost for the course is £39 (Nordic walking poles are provided). On completion of the course, participants will receive a free five-walk UDC Nordic walking card, worth £20.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 6 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Spaces are limited so anyone interested should reserve a place in advance by calling the council’s Customer Service Centre on 01799 510510. People taking part should download and complete a health questionnaire in advance and bring it with them on the day. The form can be found at uttlesford.gov.uk/nordicwalking
Anyone with concerns about health issues can contact qualified Nordic walking instructor Paul Goddard in advance via e-mail at email@example.com by texting or calling 07794 867344 or turn up 15 minutes early for the session.