Nine-year-old fund-raiser from Dunmow makes £710 for homeless people
- Credit: Archant
A girl aged nine who was so distressed when she saw people sleeping on the street in London that she decided to get some money to help them has raised more than £700.
Maddison Loveday, a pupil at Great Dunmow Primary School, held a raffle at her school’s Christmas fair. Businesses in the district had donated prizes including a TV set and items which mum Nickie made up into hampers of food, drink and cosmetics.
Nickie said: “The total raised by Maddison was £710. This is almost enough for 32 people to have a Christmas lunch and bed for the night.
“Maddison was in shock when we counted the money, as we had just been collecting it in a tin. Her jaw hit the floor, she was amazed that people had been so generous.
“We would like to thank everyone who donated gifts for the raffle and bought tickets.”
You may also want to watch:
Maddison was shocked last month when her family took her to London to see a pantomime and she saw people sleeping in doorways. She asked her parents: “Why don’t they go home?” and was upset to hear that they had no homes. The money she has raised will go to Crisis at Christmas which provides people with food, shelter and advice.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 4 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 10 Take a look at Great Dunmow's very own secret garden