New homes on council land
WORK has begun to build affordable housing on council land in Uttlesford for the first time in years. Contractors working on behalf of Swan Housing Group are onsite at Broomfields in Hatfield Heath at the start of a project that will see six one-bedroom a
WORK has begun to build affordable housing on council land in Uttlesford for the first time in years.
Contractors working on behalf of Swan Housing Group are onsite at Broomfields in Hatfield Heath at the start of a project that will see six one-bedroom apartments built on land formerly owned by Uttlesford District Council.
Councillors agreed in December 2007 to give the land to the not-for-profit landlord to build the homes which will be available for rent to people on the council's housing register.
Council chairman Councillor Mark Lemon said: "This is the first piece of council land to be built on in a number of years and represents a significant moment for Uttlesford District Council.
You may also want to watch:
"The credit crunch has meant that larger development sites elsewhere, which would have helped deliver extra affordable housing in the borough, have been delayed. It is good to see this development going ahead."
The development has received financial support from the Housing Corporation, a body which regulates housing associations like Swan.
- 1 Air ambulance and four land vehicles called to Essex emergency
- 2 In pictures: First ever Summer Solstice Sundown festival a hit
- 3 Two taken to hospital after Little Dunmow collision
- 4 In pictures: Stebbing tractor run 2021
- 5 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Half empty or half full weekend depending on whether you play for Dunmow's firsts or seconds
- 8 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 9 The 2021 Stebbing Tractor Run route
- 10 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
And by donating land in this way the council is hopeful that it will be able to secure further investment in the future.
Swan Housing Group project manager, Ella Saimbi said: "We are glad to be on site on this project which is being delivered in partnership with the Council.
"The six apartments are being built to the highest possible standard and we hope that they will be complete in spring 2009."
* A HOUSING development appears to have taken a turn for the better as the development on White Street in Great Dunmow has started again and flats have been sold.