New headmaster appointed at Felsted School
- Credit: Archant
Felsted School will have a new headmaster from September.
Current deputy head Chris Townsend has been appointed to replace Dr Mike Walker who is retiring.
Mr Townsend, who has been at Felsted for five years, is a classics graduate from Brasenose College, Oxford, where he was an exhibitioner and won three cricket blues. He was previously a housemaster at Stowe.
He said: “I would like to pay tribute to the work of Dr Mike Walker as headmaster and to wish him every success in retirement.
“I also wish to thank the governors for their endorsement of my educational leadership and vision for the future of Felsted, and I look forward to working with them, and alongside Jenny Burrett in the preparatory school, as we continue to develop all that is best about Felsted.”
You may also want to watch:
John Davies, chairman of the governors, said: “Chris competed against a formidable field of some 50 applicants, including several heads of leading independent schools.
“He was the unanimous choice of the selection board to become the next headmaster of Felsted. Chris is held in very high regard by pupils, parents and colleagues.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
“He has been a most impressive deputy headmaster in so many ways and we are confident that he, supported by his wife Melanie and their two children, will provide Felsted with the strong and inspirational leadership necessary for the next stage of the school’s development.”
Mr Townsend said: “I am immensely proud to be appointed as the 28th headmaster of Felsted School. It is a unique foundation, with a strong tradition, and I look forward to working to serve the entire community of Felsted: the pupils, parents, common rooms, operational staff and Old Felstedians alike.
“I am really excited by the challenge of building on Felsted’s achievements to date and developing the school even further, and feel particularly privileged to have this opportunity.”