New community focus for Hatfield Forest
NATIONAL Trust Hatfield Forest has a fresh face on its staff. Laura Slater has joined the team, taking on the new role of community warden. Since joining on December 1, the 24-year-old has been busy getting to know the forest s regular visitors and findi
NATIONAL Trust Hatfield Forest has a fresh face on its staff.
Laura Slater has joined the team, taking on the new role of community warden.
Since joining on December 1, the 24-year-old has been busy getting to know the forest's regular visitors and finding out what it is they love about the place.
She is also working closely with volunteers, without whom the forest could not survive.
You may also want to watch:
Although her role it not totally defined yet, Ms Slater is delighted to be on board.
She said: "I love the forest because it is such a unique place and the historical side is very interesting and very diverse.
- 1 Distraction theft in Dunmow leaves woman without handbag
- 2 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 3 Police appeal after clothing theft from donation container
- 4 Villages around Great Dunmow covered in frost and snow
- 5 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 6 Church received £31,000 grant for restoration purposes
- 7 Community helps foodbank under pressure
- 8 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 9 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 10 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
"It's a new position, so I will be developing the job according to the requirements I discover.
"You can usually find me in the lake area, and I'd love to know what you think of the forest or to hear from people who would like to volunteer. On your next visit come and talk to me."
Originally from Suffolk, Ms Slater studied anthropology and geography at University College London.
After graduation, she worked in London as a volunteer and then in a community project officer role.
Before coming to Hatfield Forest, she was a witness care officer for Thames Valley Police.
To find our more about volunteering at Hatfield Forest and how you can get involved, pay a visit and find Laura Slater who will be happy to talk to you.