New community focus for Hatfield Forest
NATIONAL Trust Hatfield Forest has a fresh face on its staff. Laura Slater has joined the team, taking on the new role of community warden. Since joining on December 1, the 24-year-old has been busy getting to know the forest s regular visitors and findi
NATIONAL Trust Hatfield Forest has a fresh face on its staff.
Laura Slater has joined the team, taking on the new role of community warden.
Since joining on December 1, the 24-year-old has been busy getting to know the forest's regular visitors and finding out what it is they love about the place.
She is also working closely with volunteers, without whom the forest could not survive.
You may also want to watch:
Although her role it not totally defined yet, Ms Slater is delighted to be on board.
She said: "I love the forest because it is such a unique place and the historical side is very interesting and very diverse.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 10 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
"It's a new position, so I will be developing the job according to the requirements I discover.
"You can usually find me in the lake area, and I'd love to know what you think of the forest or to hear from people who would like to volunteer. On your next visit come and talk to me."
Originally from Suffolk, Ms Slater studied anthropology and geography at University College London.
After graduation, she worked in London as a volunteer and then in a community project officer role.
Before coming to Hatfield Forest, she was a witness care officer for Thames Valley Police.
To find our more about volunteering at Hatfield Forest and how you can get involved, pay a visit and find Laura Slater who will be happy to talk to you.