New club puts its best foot forward

PUBLISHED: 17:06 19 October 2006 | UPDATED: 21:22 29 May 2010

WALKERS are being encouraged to join a new walking club that has been set up by Dunmow Rotary Club. Local historian Rtn Tom Cowell led a group around places of interest in Tilty on Saturday for the first organised walk. The group included club president R

WALKERS are being encouraged to join a new walking club that has been set up by Dunmow Rotary Club.

Local historian Rtn Tom Cowell led a group around places of interest in Tilty on Saturday for the first organised walk.

The group included club president Rtn Richard Amott and his wife Sallyann, along with David Edwards, Robin Lee, Derek Towler, his wife Gillian and the dog along with Michael and Joyce Ruhl, Peter and Pam Fox, John and Margaret Bridges.

They set off from the ancient church, which was 'the chapel without a gate', as it was originally built outside of the Cistercian Abbey enclosure, so that local people could use it.

In 1153 seven brethren settled and worked in the area to drain, clear and lay down waterworks in preparation for the building of the Abbey.

Only ruins of the west wall cloister still stand. With the dissolution of monasteries in the 16th Century, the Chapel was retained for the community and is now part of the 'Five Parishes', along with Great and Little Easton, Broxted and Chickney.

The walkers passed Tilty Mill, that has fallen into disrepair, but there are still old 'Tilites' who remember the working Mill up until World War Two.

Behind Tilty Grange, was where pin pointers in the sky were placed from the highest point to spot German warplanes. The spigots for the lights still remain. Anyone interested in joining the group should call Simon Roberts on 01371 872981.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast