More money needed to save RSPCA home from closure
WITH a little help from the Dunmow Broadcast, a charity fundraiser to help keep a popular animal home from closing has got off to a great start.
The RSPCA Danaher Animal Home in Wethersfield is in crisis after making substantial losses year on year when expenses started to rise during the credit crunch.
Yet Lucy Smith, aged 24, a volunteer and fundraiser at the home since she was a teenager, is fighting back by hosting a sponsored ‘sleep in’ inside the actual kennels at the home, alongside all the stray and unwanted dogs she helps to look after and re-home
She said: “I just wanted to say a massive thank you. We have received a donation of �100 from a member of the public who was touched by the story in the paper last week.
“What a kind and generous person. Hopefully we will have more lovely people donating too – every penny goes towards the animals’ care.”
You may also want to watch:
So far �250 has already been raised ahead of the event on August 27, and Miss Smith hopes to take the cash total way past the �500 mark.
The home costs nearly half a million pounds to run each year and is completely self-funded.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- 3 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 4 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 5 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 6 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 7 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 8 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 9 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
- 10 Archaeologists find remains of Iron Age village
“Every penny counts,” she said. “We are helping animals who often come to us in heartbreaking conditions. Please, please dig deep to support this great cause.”
To sponsor the sleep in or just donate to the home go online at everyclick.com/kennelsleepin/info or send cheques to RSPCA Danaher Animal Home, Thorley Farm, Hedingham Road, Wethersfield, Essex, CM7 4EQ.