Marathon feat for school friends
TWO pupils from Helena Romanes School braved downpours, aching legs and jogger s nipple as they ran a half marathon to raise £740 for ACCURO. Declan Baines, 17, and Toby Jones, 16, are both in their first year at the sixth form centre and decided to do th
TWO pupils from Helena Romanes School braved downpours, aching legs and jogger's nipple as they ran a half marathon to raise £740 for ACCURO.
Declan Baines, 17, and Toby Jones, 16, are both in their first year at the sixth form centre and decided to do the run after discussing the idea at school.
"Neither of us had ever run the distance before," said Toby. "We have been training in the gym using a tread mill. For us, it was unchartered waters."
Setting off from the Dunmow Youth Centre on North Street, the two made it to Thaxted within 90 minutes when they were hit by the first of four downpours, which left them soaked to the skin and wishing they had taken more note of suggestions of ways of avoiding the dreaded 'jogger's nipple'.
"We were fine up until four miles from Saffron Walden," said Declan. "We had a power drink and got a second wind. We ached afterwards but really enjoyed it."
The two made it to the finishing line at Fairycroft Road, Saffron Walden, in two-and-a-half hours saying it had inspired them to run a full marathon.
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Barnston Res pick up vital win while Dunmow impress against Daggers
- 3 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 4 New Broomfield Hospital garden to boost patients' wellbeing
- 5 A look back: the fun times in Wethersfield remembered
- 6 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 7 Firefighters rescue curious cat from Great Notley drainpipe
- 8 Matt leads a breaktime recital at Felsted School
- 9 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 10 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
Anyone wanting to support Declan and Toby should call 01245 231502 after 6pm.