Man suffers burns during shed fire

PUBLISHED: 16:27 09 August 2007 | UPDATED: 21:46 29 May 2010

A 65-year-old man was taken to hospital with burns after a shed caught fire in Aythorpe Roding last week. Last Thursday, fire crews from Leaden Roding and Dunmow were called to Aythorpe Manor, School Road, at 4pm and soon afterwards, an ambulance was call

A 65-year-old man was taken to hospital with burns after a shed caught fire in Aythorpe Roding last week.

Last Thursday, fire crews from Leaden Roding and Dunmow were called to Aythorpe Manor, School Road, at 4pm and soon afterwards, an ambulance was called for.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust said: "A 65-year-old man suffered superficial burns to hands and face.

"He was taken to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford by a rapid response team where he was treated."

They added that the Essex Air Ambulance was dispatched to the scene but was not required.

Leading firefighter Andrew Clark, of Leaden Roding fire station, said: "When we arrived the fire had already been extinguished by non-fire personnel. They had done a good job using a powder-based fire extinguisher. We carried out an inspection and treated the man."

"The man had superficial burns to his face and arms, which we treated with a cooling gel and we gave him oxygen as he had inhaled smoke."

The man involved declined to comment.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast