Man has ‘three-figure sum’ stolen during suspected distraction theft
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
An elderly man fell victim to a suspected distraction theft when he had a three-figure sum of cash stolen while being hugged by a woman in a car park in Saffron Walden.
Police are appealing for information about the incident which took place at Waitrose, in Hill Street, on November 5 between 2.30-3pm.
The 88-year-old man was approached in his vehicle by a woman, described as white with black shoulder-length hair, who was carrying a blue clipboard.
The man wound down his window and the woman placed the clipboard on his steering wheel and began drawing on it.
The victim was confused and believed that she was asking for charitable donations, so he gave her a £5 note.
You may also want to watch:
In response the woman cuddled him for about a minute before leaving the scene.
The man only realised after finishing his shop in Waitrose that a three-figure sum of cash was missing from his pocket.
- 1 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 2 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 3 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 4 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 5 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
- 6 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 7 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 9 Dog whose owner moved away without her is featured on TV
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
Investigating officer PC Luke Wilkinson, of Uttlesford's local policing team, said: "We understand that the woman may be claiming to be working on behalf of a children's charity and we would like to hear from anyone who has been approached by her or who has information."
Anyone with information is asked to call Uttlesford police station on 101 quoting crime reference 42/176312/19 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.