Man, 68, takes 20 driving tests at Bishop’s Stortford but still hasn’t got licence
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A determined learner driver from the area has taken 20 driving tests but still not passed.
The 68-year-old man, who last took a test at Bishop’s Stortford in 2014, has taken the most driving tests at the centre, according to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
A 40-year-old woman took the second most number of tests, and still not passed, with 18 attempts - the last in 2015.
The 17th time was a charm for a 37-year-old woman who passed in 2014. Two people have taken their test 16 times, one a male, 53, who has yet to pass, and a 21-year-old female who passed in 2012.
Three people passed on their 15th attempt, two men aged 43 and 21 and a woman aged 36.
Two female learners drivers, one aged 48 and failed in 2016, the other 38, have yet to pass after 14 attempts.
Thirteen was a lucky number for seven drivers, but not for a 22-year-old woman, who last attempted the test this year but will need to pass another.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 9 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Five woman, two aged 18, one 34, another 37 and a 59-year-old, took 12 attempts to get their driving licence.
DVSA chief driving examiner Lesley Young said: “It’s essential that all drivers demonstrate they have the right skills, knowledge and attitude to drive safely. The driver testing and training regime tests candidates’ ability to drive safely and responsibly as well as making sure they know the theory behind safe driving.
“All candidates are assessed to the same level and the result of their test is entirely dependent on their performance on the day.”