Magic man made president of brotherhood for the second time
A MAGICIAN from Dunmow has made history after being named as head of an international brotherhood for the second time.
Brian Miller is the first man ever to be twice elected as president of the British Ring No 25 of The International Brotherhood of Magicians.
“I find more people want to talk to me now I’m president,” Mr Miller told the Broadcast. “There is great accolade and prestige which comes with the role. I am very proud.”
The 73-year-old was installed as head of the largest ring in the world with 1,200 members, at the 75th annual convention held last month in Southport. Mr Miller was last made president in September 1983.
His year-long presidency means he will act as ambassador and represent the British Ring overseas, keep in touch with members, oversee the 2012 convention, and write an article in the monthly magazine The Budget.
You may also want to watch:
Since moving to Dunmow 10 years ago, Mr Miller and his wife Audrey have become involved in the local community and have used their skills as magical entertainers by raising over �20,000 towards the upkeep of the Five Parishes, as well as directing and producing an annual magic show.
“I enjoy being able to bring joy and money to the community,” said Mr Miller, who is treasurer of Tilty Church and also of the Friends of the Five Parishes.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- 3 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 4 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 5 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 6 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 7 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 8 Archaeologists find remains of Iron Age village
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought