‘Lucky escape’ for Henham man after fire breaks out in bedroom

PUBLISHED: 10:58 19 April 2018 | UPDATED: 11:00 19 April 2018

Archant

Essex Fire said a resident from Hall Close in Henham had a lucky escape this morning after a fire went undetected in his house until he went upstairs to bed and found the room full of smoke.

The property did not have any working smoke alarms, so the fire had time to take hold and leave the room severely fire damaged and the first floor of his home also suffered smoke damage.

When fire crews arrived at 12:11am they managed to stop the fire spreading to the rest of the house and managed to extinguish the fire by 12:50am.

Before firefighters left they fitted two new smoke alarms, one on each level of the home.

Crews from Stansted and Newport attended the blaze.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service fit smoke alarms completely free of charge. To book your visit call 0300 303 0088 or book online here: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast