Council chairman is more than half way through his 500 miles
- Credit: Foley family
Uttlesford District Council chairman Martin Foley has walked more than half of his 500 mile virtual challenge, from Uttlesford to Scotland.
He and daughter Nicola set off to cover 500 miles to raise money for the Stroke Association. They landed on the idea of walking to the Isle of Iona – which is roughly 500 miles from Uttlesford and is their spiritual home in the Hebrides.
But unlike The Proclaimers, they might not fancy doing another 500 more once they reach their goal! They aim to raise at least £3,000 before the end of February.
Martin has now completed over 330 miles on his virtual walk to Iona and Nicola has completed over 197 miles - Nicola started later and is running much of her 500 miles to catch up.
So far they have raised over £2,400 and have made it to the equivalent of the Lowlands of Scotland.
Martin’s wife Claire Foley is a stroke survivor and on a journey of recovery.
Give them a hand through a donation via https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cllr-martin-foley-udc
- 1 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Villages around Great Dunmow covered in frost and snow
- 4 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 5 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 6 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 7 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
- 8 Church received £31,000 grant for restoration purposes
- 9 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 10 Former POW camp on council heritage list