Litter pick in Great Dunmow to support Great British Spring Clean
- Credit: Archant
A community litter pick will take place in Great Dunmow next month (March 4) as part of a UK initiative.
Great Dunmow Town Council is holding the event to support a nationwide campaign which aims to get 500,000 people helping to clear up rubbish.
That is double the number of volunteers who helped out in Great British Spring Clean 2016 – where 300,000 bags of litter was collected.
It is backed by charities like the RSPCA and Keep Wales Tidy, businesses including McDonald’s, Greggs, Lidl and Costa, and by celebrity Steve Backshall, a BAFTA-winning presenter.
Steve, who called it an “important issue”, said: “Litter dropped in a British street is a horror show for wildlife, so many animals are injured and even die from the things we throw away.”
You may also want to watch:
All helpers would be voluntary but all equipment will be provided.
The event starts at Foakes Hall car park at 9.30am on Saturday, March 4.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 5 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 6 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 7 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 8 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms
- 9 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council
- 10 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport