Join in this 1759 picnic at Hatfield Forest, Essex
VISITORS to Shell House in Hatfield Forest can step back in time to 1759 this summer as the impressive building celebrates its 250th birthday. Restored three years ago by the National Trust, the Shell House was built to the design of Laetitia Houblon, dau
VISITORS to Shell House in Hatfield Forest can step back in time to 1759 this summer as the impressive building celebrates its 250th birthday.
Restored three years ago by the National Trust, the Shell House was built to the design of Laetitia Houblon, daughter of Hatfield Forest's owner Jacob Houblon. Jacob and Laetitia Houblon will lead the birthday celebrations, arriving in a horse-drawn carriage.
They will enjoy the delights of a Georgian picnic - and you find out just what would have been on the menu 250 years ago, right down to the furniture and table linen. There will be a big birthday cake which the Houblons will share with all party guests.
Find out about the art project which has been underway at Hatfield Forest over recent months in readiness for the celebrations.
Takeley Primary School and Peterswood Infants School have worked with local artist Anne Schwegmann-Fielding to design and create pictures made out of shells given to Hatfield Forest by visitors. These will be on display in the Fisherman's shelter.
National Trust education officer at Hatfield Forest, Fiona Harrower, is getting excited about the birthday celebrations.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience
- 10 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
She said: "The school children have really enjoyed working on designs which will be on display in the Shell House for everyone's enjoyment.
"The birthday party will be great fun, offering a fascinating insight into the lives of the Houblons during the Georgian era. Join us to celebrate this important part of what makes Hatfield Forest so special."
Bring a picnic and join in the Georgian birthday celebration fun between 11am and 2pm on Saturday August 8.
DO you have a local event to promote? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a suitable picture and we will do our very best to squeeze it in.