Jamie Redknapp opens new Children’s Burns Unit at Essex hospital
A NEW state-of-the-art children’s burns unit has been officially opened at Broomfield Hospital by former England footballer Jamie Redknapp.
A NEW state-of-the-art burns unit dedicated to children has had its official opening at Broomfield Hospital – and former England footballer Jamie Redknapp did the honours.
Commissioned by the London and South East Burns Network, the unit, based at the St Andrew’s Centre in the hospital, opened a couple of months ago to patients. Previously, adults and children were treated together on the same wards.
The new unit – built at a cost of �1.7m – has eight beds and a dedicated team of specialist burns nurses, nursery nurses and play support staff to care for and support the children.
Consultant plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Professor Peter Dziewulski, said: “I would like to thank the many people responsible for the planning, commissioning, building and opening of this wonderful new unit for children.
You may also want to watch:
“There are many people who work extremely hard to make sure our young patients get the very best care and attention at St Andrew’s, but it is fair to say that it would be impossible without the devotion and care our nurses and support staff bring to the centre.”
Former Spurs and Liverpool midfielder Redknapp, his wife Louise and his dad, Spurs manager Harry, were at the opening last Thursday.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 4 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
Celebrity couple Jamie and Louise are patrons of the Burned Children’s Club, a national charity supporting young burn survivors an their families. Pat Wade, a former nurse within St Andrew’s Centre, was the founding member of this group.
Speaking at the opening ceremony, Jamie Redknapp said: “It is a privilege for me to be at the opening of such an excellent unit for the kids, and to meet with the consultants, nurses and support staff that provides such specialist care for them.
“We all know how much it can hurt when we get a minor burn or scold, so to see the youngsters here with such serious burn injuries, and the way they cope with them is really very inspiring.”