Inspectors’ verdict on district’s local plan is delayed due to General Election
- Credit: Archant
A significant step in the progression of Uttlesford District Council’s (UDC) local plan has been pushed back by months, due to the General Election.
UDC has been advised that a letter by independent inspectors which sets out their views on the local plan has been delayed until after December 12, the day of the General Election. It is now unlikely that the council will receive the document until the new year.
The local plan is being examined by two inspectors appointed by the planning inspectorate, whose role is to determine whether the plan is sound and legally compliant in accordance with planning policy.
The council had been expecting to receive a letter in October, and had anticipated that this would indicate how the plan would be progressed following the Stage 1 public examination hearings that were held in July.
However, the planning inspectorate has said that it will not be issuing any letters regarding the soundness or legal compliance of local plans before the election. This is because we are now a phase called the 'pre-election period', which restricts politically sensitive decisions or announcements being made in the run-up to an election.
You may also want to watch:
Uttlesford's local plan, which was submitted in January, identifies sites which can be developed for housing and will shape future development up until 2033.
For information about the local plan examination, visit www.uttlesford.gov.uk/local-plan-examination.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 5 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 8 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 9 New chemotherapy centre at Broomfield Hospital is 'fantastic'
- 10 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed