Holistic shop’s spray success
A SOAK in the bath has led to a mother-of-two who works in Dunmow inventing a range of sprays that are a spiritual boost in a bottle. The Aura Guards are the brainchild of holistic therapist Gill Barry who with her husband, Michael, runs Damselfly Holisti
A SOAK in the bath has led to a mother-of-two who works in Dunmow inventing a range of sprays that are a spiritual boost in a bottle.
The Aura Guards are the brainchild of holistic therapist Gill Barry who with her husband, Michael, runs Damselfly Holistics from The Curiosity Shop in Market Place, Dunmow.
"It all started when I was feeling ill one morning so I decided to take a bath in some oils to try to give myself a boost.
"I was just thinking how nice it was and how I was feeling much better with the essences I had put in the water when, all of a sudden, wham! The idea came to me.
You may also want to watch:
"I leapt out of the bath and started writing all of these ideas on pieces of paper. I ended up with 10 different ones to enhance and lift you from a negative to a positive mood."
It took three months to perfect the body spray essences and, at the end, Mrs Barry had a range of 10 Aura Sprays in glass bottles that come in two different sizes.
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 8 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
"Because the sprays are designed for people to use whenever and wherever they feel they need a boost, we decided to offer them in two different sizes.
"We've got 50ml that are the ideal size for when you're out and about and can be kept in your handbag or the glove compartment of your car. Then there are the 100ml bottles for keeping at home or in the office."
Mrs Barry makes the essences at her home using a variety of therapeutic flowers, oils and crystals.
She says that people's first reactions are surprising. Many giggle at some of the names, such as sex on a stick, but when they read what it is all about, they raise an eyebrow and realise it's not just a marketing gimmick.
"We've had some great feedback from people who have used them," said Mrs Barry.
"One woman phoned me up to say her husband had used one and that night he had his first full night's sleep for the first time in months."
The Aura Sprays are currently being sold in the Curiosity Shop and on the Damselfly website www.damselflyholistics.co.uk and Mrs Barry says that she is now receiving some positive interest from other outlets.
"The only thing I'm concerned about is what our postman thinks of us," jokes Mrs Barry.
"The essences are held in 40 per cent vodka and water. We get through 10 bottles of vodka every month and put them out on our doorstep to recycle.
"I'm worried he thinks we've turned into a couple of lushes.