Heroic teenager up for Red Cross award after saving best friend’s life
A BIG-HEARTED Dunmow teenager has been nominated for a humanitarian award after saving his best friend’s life.
As featured on the front page of the Broadcast in March 2010, Jacob Rice gave vital first aid to his friend Stephen Irvine after he cracked his head on a pavement outside the town’s Co-op while riding his bike without a helmet.
A Dunmow army cadet, Jacob knew what he had to do to help his friend – he managed to get help from passersby, locate a phone to call 999, and then assist in patching up his friend before the ambulance arrived.
For his “bravery and poise under pressure”, Jacob has been nominated for The Red Cross’ Humanitarian Citizen Award – an award which celebrates young people across the UK for first aid, community action, volunteering and fundraising.
His mum, Claire Rice, told the Broadcast it was a surprise when the letter from the Red Cross came. “We only found out last week as we have only just moved from Stebbing to Dunmow,” she said. “It was a nice surprise.
You may also want to watch:
“The cadets sent off the front page of the Broadcast to the Red Cross as their nomination for Jacob – and now he’s in the final four.”
Mrs Rice also wanted to use the opportunity to renew the call for children to wear helmets when riding their bikes, skateboards, skates and scooters.
- 1 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 2 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Prince Philip death: Uttlesford service and Garden of Remembrance
- 5 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 6 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 7 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 8 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 9 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
“I just want this to go down as a message to all youngsters taking part in these sports – all of them should wear helmets whilst riding, skateboarding or anything like that, whether in a car park, on a road or down at the skate park,” she said.
Jacob is one of four young people across the UK to have been nominated. The awards ceremony will be held in London in October.