Helena Romanes School pupils collect food boxes for orphaned children in Bulgaria
THOUGHTFUL pupils will be making a huge difference to the lives of impoverished children in Bulgaria, thanks to a successful collection. During the current term, Year Nine students at The Helena Romanes School, Dunmow, have been collecting pasta, flour, r
THOUGHTFUL pupils will be making a huge difference to the lives of impoverished children in Bulgaria, thanks to a successful collection.
During the current term, Year Nine students at The Helena Romanes School, Dunmow, have been collecting pasta, flour, rice and sugar to put in boxes to give to the 'Churches Together' collection in Chelmsford.
When full the boxes are gathered at a central distribution point and then sent as aid to orphanages in Bulgaria.
In total, the school managed to collect over 26 boxes. Money to contribute towards the transport costs was also collected.
Christine Horton, who organised the collection for the school, said: "It is a tradition for this school that Year Nine takes part in this collection as part of their active citizenship contribution.
"The pupils also do a unit of work about developing countries and their needs, and different views about how they may be helped. They learn about how privileged many children in this country are compared with an enormous number of children in the world."
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 8 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
The boxes are taken every year by a group of volunteers, to help an orphanage of children aged from birth to teenage years in Bulgaria.
For more information on the collections visit www.harvestforthehungry.co.uk