Health checks for men at Great Dunmow Library
MEN’S Health Week is coming to Great Dunmow Library on Saturday June 19 with basic health checks on offer to local men along with tips on healthy lifestyles.
NHS West Essex is one of five Primary Care Trusts across the county to support the venture, in conjunction with BBC Essex, with events at Great Dunmow Library from 9am to noon and Saffron Walden Library from 10am to 2pm.
Health staff will be on hand to give blood pressure checks as well as body mass index tests and checks to show how old your lungs really are. There will also be information displays and advice about healthy lifestyles and the role of community health coaches to support people to live more healthily.
Men’s Health Week is a national campaign aimed at getting a million more middle-aged men active by the time of the 2012 London Olympics.
Higher levels of physical activity can have a big impact on health. Physically active men have a 20 to 30 per cent reduced risk of premature death and up to 50 per cent reduced risk of developing major chronic diseases.
You may also want to watch:
Ray Lockett, healthy living manager with West Essex Community Health Services, said: “Getting into shape doesn’t have to involve strenuous workouts at the gym. A few simple steps such as taking a brisk walk and watching what you eat can make a big difference.
“We hope local men will take this opportunity to have some basic health checks and learn more about how they can change their lifestyle to enjoy a longer and healthier life.”
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 6 New cycle network consultation announced
- 7 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 8 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 9 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 10 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford