Have you got what it takes? Applications now open for Dunmow Flitch Trials
- Credit: Archant
Married couples can now apply to compete in the Dunmow Flitch Trials; an event which sees people travel from far and wide to compete for a side of bacon.
The trials, which originated more than 900 years ago and take place every four years, give couples who have been married for at least a year and a day, the opportunity to prove they are worthy to receive a flitch of bacon.
The event will take place July 11, 2020, where the couples will be put on trial, with a judge and a jury. The victors are carried in the ancient Flitch Chair to Market Square in Dunmow, where they take an oath.
People have come from Australia and America to claim the bacon.
Applications opened on Saturday and hopefuls have until February 14 to enter.
You may also want to watch:
Visit the event's website for more information and to download an application form: www.dunmowflitchtrials.co.uk.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?