Have you got what it takes? Applications now open for Dunmow Flitch Trials
- Credit: Archant
Married couples can now apply to compete in the Dunmow Flitch Trials; an event which sees people travel from far and wide to compete for a side of bacon.
The trials, which originated more than 900 years ago and take place every four years, give couples who have been married for at least a year and a day, the opportunity to prove they are worthy to receive a flitch of bacon.
The event will take place July 11, 2020, where the couples will be put on trial, with a judge and a jury. The victors are carried in the ancient Flitch Chair to Market Square in Dunmow, where they take an oath.
People have come from Australia and America to claim the bacon.
Applications opened on Saturday and hopefuls have until February 14 to enter.
You may also want to watch:
Visit the event's website for more information and to download an application form: www.dunmowflitchtrials.co.uk.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 3 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 4 Raynes Boxing Club duo delighted to return to amateur competition
- 5 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 6 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 7 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 8 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles