Great Hallingbury Manor picks up gong in Essex Tourism Awards
AN ECO-FRIENDLY hotel in Great Hallingbury has scooped a major prize in the inaugural Essex Tourism Awards. Great Hallingbury Manor, which uses environmentally friendly products and has installed an energy-saving heat pump, shrugged off stiff competition
AN ECO-FRIENDLY hotel in Great Hallingbury has scooped a major prize in the inaugural Essex Tourism Awards.
Great Hallingbury Manor, which uses environmentally friendly products and has installed an energy-saving heat pump, shrugged off stiff competition from the Maison Talbooth in Dedham to win the best small hotel award. Representatives picked up the gong at a Black-tie presentation awards in Southend last Thursday.
The restaurant and hotel, in Tilekiln Green, was also highly commended in the competition's sustainable tourism award.
A spokesman for Great Hallingbury Manor said: "We are delighted with the awards. To win it for our green policies is good because it is something we are trying to encourage.
"We are a new hotel and have only been open for 18 months so to win something like this in the early stages is great. It looks good for the future."
The Essex Tourism Awards were organised by Archant - publishers of the Dunmow Broadcast - in conjunction with Essex County Council to recognise professionalism and expertise in the tourism industry, as well as showcasing the best of Essex attractions.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Other nominations in Uttlesford included the Radisson SAS at Stansted Airport, which was highly commended in the best large hotel category.
Saffron Walden's Tourist Information Centre pipped Colchester and Southend to win best TIC in the county.
Saffron Walden Arts Festival, organised by the Saffron Walden Arts Trust, which was nominated in the best event or festival category and Audley End House and Gardens, which was nominated in the best large tourist attraction.
Although both had done extremely well to be shortlisted, they lost out to the 'Guardians to the King' exhibition and Colchester Zoo respectively.
Great Hallingbury Manor, alongside the winners from each category, will now be shortlisted for the regional East of England Tourism Awards on October 29.