Great Dunmow tearoom is named best in Essex
- Credit: Archant
A Great Dunmow tearoom is officially a cut above the rest after being named the best in Essex – just a year after opening.
Scrumptious, owned by Chris and his wife Jane Turton, took top prize at the Food and Drink awards hosted by Essex Life, owned by Broadcast publishers Archant, last week.
They were up against two other tearooms but owner Jane said they had been told they were a “cut above everyone else”.
She burst into tears when she found out they had won. Jane said: “It was just such a proud moment as it was the customers who got us there.
“It was like getting a big pat on the back saying we are doing well.
You may also want to watch:
“Loads of people have been coming in and hugging us.
“It is a win for them as well because they are proud to have something so unique to them in Dunmow.”
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 7 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 8 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
Over the past year the tearoom has grown from nine members of staff to 20.
Chris, who is joint-chairman of the newly-formed Great Dunmow Town Team, believes the reason behind the establishment’s success is its attention to detail.
“From the moment a customer walks in and the way Jane greets them, to remembering the name and the type of cup they like to drink out of, is important to us,” he said.
The pair believe the win is a big boost for the town, putting it on the map and increasing footfall in the high street.
Since the awards ceremony, held in Hatfield Heath, last Thursday, Scrumptious Tearooms has already had customers from Kent travelling to the town to sample the goods on offer.