Great Dunmow tearoom is named best in Essex
- Credit: Archant
A Great Dunmow tearoom is officially a cut above the rest after being named the best in Essex – just a year after opening.
Scrumptious, owned by Chris and his wife Jane Turton, took top prize at the Food and Drink awards hosted by Essex Life, owned by Broadcast publishers Archant, last week.
They were up against two other tearooms but owner Jane said they had been told they were a “cut above everyone else”.
She burst into tears when she found out they had won. Jane said: “It was just such a proud moment as it was the customers who got us there.
“It was like getting a big pat on the back saying we are doing well.
“Loads of people have been coming in and hugging us.
“It is a win for them as well because they are proud to have something so unique to them in Dunmow.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 2 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 3 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 4 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 5 Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners make the most of the summer sun
- 6 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 7 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 8 Harmer's career-best haul helps Essex stun Hampshire
- 9 KidzFair in Great Dunmow was a huge success for young entrepreneurs
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
Over the past year the tearoom has grown from nine members of staff to 20.
Chris, who is joint-chairman of the newly-formed Great Dunmow Town Team, believes the reason behind the establishment’s success is its attention to detail.
“From the moment a customer walks in and the way Jane greets them, to remembering the name and the type of cup they like to drink out of, is important to us,” he said.
The pair believe the win is a big boost for the town, putting it on the map and increasing footfall in the high street.
Since the awards ceremony, held in Hatfield Heath, last Thursday, Scrumptious Tearooms has already had customers from Kent travelling to the town to sample the goods on offer.