Great Dunmow tearoom is named best in Essex
- Credit: Archant
A Great Dunmow tearoom is officially a cut above the rest after being named the best in Essex – just a year after opening.
Scrumptious, owned by Chris and his wife Jane Turton, took top prize at the Food and Drink awards hosted by Essex Life, owned by Broadcast publishers Archant, last week.
They were up against two other tearooms but owner Jane said they had been told they were a “cut above everyone else”.
She burst into tears when she found out they had won. Jane said: “It was just such a proud moment as it was the customers who got us there.
“It was like getting a big pat on the back saying we are doing well.
You may also want to watch:
“Loads of people have been coming in and hugging us.
“It is a win for them as well because they are proud to have something so unique to them in Dunmow.”
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 7 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 8 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 9 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 10 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
Over the past year the tearoom has grown from nine members of staff to 20.
Chris, who is joint-chairman of the newly-formed Great Dunmow Town Team, believes the reason behind the establishment’s success is its attention to detail.
“From the moment a customer walks in and the way Jane greets them, to remembering the name and the type of cup they like to drink out of, is important to us,” he said.
The pair believe the win is a big boost for the town, putting it on the map and increasing footfall in the high street.
Since the awards ceremony, held in Hatfield Heath, last Thursday, Scrumptious Tearooms has already had customers from Kent travelling to the town to sample the goods on offer.