Great Dunmow Soapbox Race 2019: Thousands line the street for “amazing” day
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Great Dunmow Soapbox has been held a “huge success” by organisers.
The event, held on Sunday (May 26) saw between 15,000 and 20,000 spectators line the streets to cheer on carts as they barreled down Braintree Road.
Great Dunmow Round Table organise the event for charity and it is expected the day will have raised more than £30,000, with the funds going to St Clare Hospice, Mind in West Essex and Great Dunmow Round Table.
Great Dunmow Round Table gives money to local causes by holding fundraising events and according to member Jordan Bright, have raised more money at the soapbox race than they usually do in a year.
Speaking about the day, Jordan said: "It was amazing. Everyone was just in high spirits. The feedback from people has been phenomenal. It's always been an event for the community, by the community."
You may also want to watch:
Dunmow coffee shop The Flitch House were the victorious team, with their cart being driven by Matt Coleman and pushed by Jamie Lindsell.
Teams Bernard2 and INT Cuttle Shocks came secured second and third place.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 8 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 9 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
- 10 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
To apply for a donation from Great Dunmow Round Table go to www.greatdunmowroundtable.co.uk/donations/.