Great Dunmow Soapbox Race 2019: Thousands line the street for “amazing” day
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Great Dunmow Soapbox has been held a “huge success” by organisers.
The event, held on Sunday (May 26) saw between 15,000 and 20,000 spectators line the streets to cheer on carts as they barreled down Braintree Road.
Great Dunmow Round Table organise the event for charity and it is expected the day will have raised more than £30,000, with the funds going to St Clare Hospice, Mind in West Essex and Great Dunmow Round Table.
Great Dunmow Round Table gives money to local causes by holding fundraising events and according to member Jordan Bright, have raised more money at the soapbox race than they usually do in a year.
Speaking about the day, Jordan said: "It was amazing. Everyone was just in high spirits. The feedback from people has been phenomenal. It's always been an event for the community, by the community."
You may also want to watch:
Dunmow coffee shop The Flitch House were the victorious team, with their cart being driven by Matt Coleman and pushed by Jamie Lindsell.
Teams Bernard2 and INT Cuttle Shocks came secured second and third place.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
- 8 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 9 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 10 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
To apply for a donation from Great Dunmow Round Table go to www.greatdunmowroundtable.co.uk/donations/.