Great Dunmow pupils get free healthy lifestyle course courtesy of MEND
A FREE healthy lifestyle course for Great Dunmow youngsters will open its doors on Tuesday. With one in three children in Essex above a healthy weight, the MEND Programme aims to help children become fitter and healthier.
A FREE healthy lifestyle course for Great Dunmow youngsters will open its doors on Tuesday.
With one in three children in Essex above a healthy weight, the MEND Programme (Mind, Exercise, Nutrition...Do it!) aims to help local children become fitter, healthier and happier whilst having fun.
At the 10-week after school programme in Great Dunmow, children aged between seven and 13 and their parents will learn about healthy eating and how to enjoy physical activity.
The free course, which was devised by child health experts at Great Ormond Street Hospital and is funded by The Big Lottery, also includes a visit to the local supermarket where the children and their parents will learn how to read food labels.
You may also want to watch:
MEND's regional manager for Essex, Kate Underwood, said: "Families who have done the MEND Programme have had a great deal of success and it changes families' lives.
"Children become healthier and fitter and their self esteem and confidence increase greatly. We are committed to giving families in Great Dunmow the chance to improve their health with this fun free course."
- 1 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 2 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
- 3 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 4 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 5 Swan Inn customers support the foodbank
- 6 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 7 Dolly the pig gets help after getting stuck in the mud
- 8 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 9 Public toilets for new Victoria Square town centre development
- 10 Grandmother rescued from muddy field in Little Bardfield
The MEND Programme consists of two hourly sessions twice a week over a 10 week period. Each session includes a one hour interactive workshop for children and parents, and a one hour fun physical activity session for the children whilst the parents have an adult discussion.
For more information or to register for the MEND Programme freephone 0800 230 0263, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit mendcentral.org