Great Dunmow Primary victorious in gymnastics competition
- Credit: Archant
First place went to the Great Dunmow Primary School gymnastic team in an Essex Schools competition.
Pupils took part in a British Schools Gymnastics Association floor and vault competition against Richard de Clare Primary School from Halstead and De Vere Primary School, from Castle Hedingham.
The competition involved each gymnast performing an individual floor routine to music. They were judged on the difficulty of the routine and given marks for how well it was executed. Out of a maximum mark on the floor of 16, Dunmow’s top scorers were Sophie Atkinson with 13, Neve Morgan with 12.5 and Rio Jarvis Serle with 12.3.
Each gymnast then had to perform two vaults, also marked on difficulty and execution. The Great Dunmow team all did straddle vaults, with the highest difficulty mark allowed in this competition. Out of a maximum mark of 16, Dunmow’s top scorers were Sophie with 13.5, Evie Edwards with 13.0 and Rio with 12.0
After all the floor routines had been performed, it was very close between Great Dunmow and Richard de Clare for first place. The girls from Great Dunmow won by being really consistent on the vault, getting high marks.
Headteacher and coach Kevin Watts said: “All the girls performed consistently well. For some it was the first time they had represented the school. They were a credit to us. This means the school now qualifies for the semi finals.”
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience
- 10 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare