History on your doorstep: The Great Dunmow Museum is about to reopen
Angela Jardine, Trustee at The Maltings in Great Dunmow
- Credit: Great Dunmow Maltings
Angela Jardine, Trustee at The Maltings in Great Dunmow, says they're looking forward to Great Dunmow Museum in the building reopening on Saturday, June 5.
Welcome back to The Maltings!
It gives me great pleasure and some relief to say that things are slowly getting back to normal, or should I say the new normal.
In Great Dunmow we were lucky enough to have cafes and restaurants open throughout the recent months, suppling hot drinks, takeaways but most importantly a friendly face for those who were able to venture out and explore the sadly less crowded streets.
Throughout the last year, hopefully you have had a moment to search out some of Dunmow’s historical treasures such as the beautiful St Mary’s Church with its stunning stained glass and church tower listing the family names of leading notables of the area.
Or did you wonder about the history of the Alma Cottages named after the battle of the River Alma, in the Crimean War in 1845 and then try to find the tombstone for Charles Roydhouse who served in that war and then become Master of Dunmow Union Workhouse.
You may also want to watch:
Or maybe, you stood on St Edmunds Lane looking for The Isolation Hospital and thought about the echoes of the past and how we have dealt with things so differently over the last few months.
Great Dunmow is a place of rich history and I am delighted to say that you can once again learn about your town as Great Dunmow Museum reopens on Saturday, June 5.
Housed in The Maltings, the Museum is staffed of a team of volunteers who look forward to sharing their knowledge and memories of the town.
You will find the museum open each Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 4pm, although this can be subject to change.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 3 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 4 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 5 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 6 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 7 Award for off-duty police officer who saved a man's life
- 8 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 9 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 10 The first ever Flitch Green Fun Day in pictures
As part of the norm, The Maltings will once again be available to hire but only with strictest adherence to Covid safety measures.
To hire please contact the team to discuss whether the beautiful Grade II listed building could be a suitable venue. Details can be found view on their Facebook page or at www.greatdunmowmaltings.co.uk.
We look forward to welcoming you back and may Great Dunmow continue to prosper.