Great Dunmow fireworks biggest and best yet
- Credit: Archant
A huge crowd turned up for the firework display in Great Dunmow this weekend (November 5) which made it their biggest and best bonfire night event yet.
Between 5000 and 6000 people came to watch the fireworks and light show, have a barbecue, and enjoy the atmosphere.
The Great Dunmow Round Table collected more than £10,000, which will go towards various local charities throughout the year.
Jon Worby, chairman of the round table, said: “We are very pleased it was a great success, and we had an unprecedented number of people arrive, showing that we seem to be doing the right thing.
“We were lucky with the weather, it was cold but it was crisp and clear, which is ideal for fireworks.
You may also want to watch:
“Next year we will promise there will be less queues for entry, for the bar, and for the barbecue.”
It was run solely by unpaid volunteers, including 13 Air Cadets and 65 willing residents – Jon extended a big thank you to everybody who helped.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 4 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex
- 5 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 6 St Clare bereavement cafes reopen - with new cafes being added
- 7 Mayor's column: Dunmow changes, the Civic Service and talent in the town
- 8 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 9 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 10 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms