Christmas windows are ready, lights are on, and the tree is coming to the Square
- Credit: The Curiosity Shop
Great Dunmow’s Christmas cheer has started - with traders turning their windows into festive scenes and getting ready for lockdown to lift next week.
The Christmas lights have been switched on and the town’s Christmas tree is about to go up in the Market Square.
Town mayor Mike Coleman said: “The town council and the Town Team are working very hard to make sure that Dunmow has the best Christmas cheer it can under these circumstances, and encouraging all the shopkeepers to brighten up their windows and get festive cheer going.”
Many businesses have already taken action. Stores have created indoor Christmas displays. If their front doors have been forced to be closed, they’re ready for customers to return, while they continue to take orders by telephone, email, internet and click and collect.
Rachael Clark of Great Dunmow Town Team said: “We are very excited to be welcoming our customers back to our businesses in time for some last minute Christmas shopping and some pampering in time for the festive season.
You may also want to watch:
“We will be organising late night shopping evenings in the lead up to Christmas.
“The Christmas lights are shining bright. We haven’t been able to bring people the wonderful lights switch-on event that we usually organise but we’ll be back next year with a fabulously festive and locally sourced family event!
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 9 'We all need a good laugh' - Cambridge Comedy Festival returns as three-day spectacular
- 10 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
“There will be a Christmas themed treasure hunt in late December for all the family.
“Please support local this Christmas. We are local people providing excellent quality gifts and a personal service you can’t buy online.”
Patrick Lavelle of May Dunmow Prosper Sub Committee said: “It’s wonderful to see all the beautifully dressed windows in the Dunmow shops and it’s great that the business owners have made an effort to make the town look attractive even in lockdown.
“When lockdown is lifted next week I hope that everyone does their Christmas shopping in Dunmow so that they can both reward and appreciate the beautiful displays.
“This is an opportunity to avoid the large internet retailers and support our local businesses. Please #ShopLocal for Christmas 2020.”
Further festive fun is also on the cards, with Great Dunmow Round Table’s elves supporting Santa’s Sleigh from December 3 until December 21.
* Let’s brighten up Christmas! Send us your pictures and videos of Christmas decorations to raise our collective spirits. Email email@example.com