Great Dunmow Carnival bucket collection cash handed over to Macmillan Cancer Support
BUCKETS of coins collected at this year s Great Dunmow Carnival have been counted and the result has delighted procession organisers. In total �1000 pounds was raised, and at Foakes Hall on Thursday a cheque was handed to Steve Gowers, one of the co
HEAVY buckets of coins collected at this year's Great Dunmow Carnival have been counted and the result has delighted procession organisers.
In total �1000 pounds was raised, and at Foakes Hall on Thursday a cheque was handed to Steve Gowers, one of the collectors for the Macmillan Nurses fundraising team from Chelmsford.
He said: "This is a lot of money to us and we are delighted with the collection. It can go towards many things - for example, funding our essential care line for people for at least nine days."
Procession committee chairman, Keith Wheatcroft, handed over the cash. He said: "We know it is not a fortune but it is really good to know that it will go to someone who really needs it."
You may also want to watch:
The coins took over five hours to count after being deposited into buckets by the public during the procession stage of the carnival back in mid-September.
Collectors said it was noticeable that people were putting in much lower value coins this year compared to last but the final count was roughly the same.
- 1 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 2 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 3 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 4 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 8 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 9 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
Pictured, is Team Yellow, from left, Valerie Wheatcroft, Linda Herring, Keith Wheatcroft, Ron Clover and Jan Moller, with Macmillan Nurses fundraising collector Steve Gowers (green t-shirt) NT_261109_Carnival collection