Gold medal winning designer to create a dramatic school garden at RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2013
A GOLD medal winning RHS Chelsea Flower Show designer is to design a dramatic living garden at the 2013 Show for Felsted School, following the devastating fire to one of its boarding houses this summer.
Always in search of a fresh and interesting story, Felsted parent Paul King wanted actively to create something to support the memories of the 90 years of boys and girls who had lived and learned in the historic Follyfield House, which was gutted by fire in July.
The loss of such an iconic building left many past and present students, and the wider Felsted community saddened.
Conscious of the value of his sculptured trees and plants, Mr King - who owns King & Co in Rayne - could visualise a Follyfield garden for Chelsea, creating something unique in the Grand Marquee at RHS Chelsea 2013. Using planting and memorabilia from the remains of the burnt out building, he intends to create an impressive living sculpture of the scene on July 15.
It will be a commemorative garden to represent the loss suffered and the prevailing Follies spirit, intertwined with hope for the future.
You may also want to watch:
Mr King aims to symbolise the friendship, education and memories of the building, but equally to create a living memorial for the the new Follyfield House, to be opened in 2014.
Headmaster Dr Mike Walker said: “To be involved in such an iconic event as The RHS Chelsea Flower Show is a great honour. We are humbled and indebted to King and Co for donating their time and expertise to support Felsted, following its tragic loss of a much loved building.
- 1 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 2 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 4 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 8 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 9 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 10 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
“The pupils, staff and I are extremely excited about seeing the garden in reality at the show and we look forward to enjoying its continued life back at the school in future years.”