Gearing up for carnival day
IT S carnival time. The bunting is up, the acts are booked, and the precession is set to be bigger and better than ever for the 2008 Great Dunmow Carnival this Saturday. Two committees have been working around the clock to ensure that all the preparations
IT'S carnival time. The bunting is up, the acts are booked, and the precession is set to be bigger and better than ever for the 2008 Great Dunmow Carnival this Saturday.
Two committees have been working around the clock to ensure that all the preparations are in place, and guess what, the weather might even be nice.
Claire Reeve, a member of the events committee, said: "It should be a wonderful day.
"We have received some great support from businesses including a huge grant from Tyremart who have agreed to sponsor our main act - One Step Beyond.
"Also, Tesco has sponsored the Green Hackle Pipe Band who will be part of the main precession through the streets and later perform in the arena next to the Dourdan Pavilion on recreation ground."
Events committee chairman David Beedle is delighted with his team's work in getting all the acts and pitches booked. He said: "We all hope the weather will be fine for the weekend, because we have lots lined up for the whole day, the fun fair has already arrived and looks fantastic."
- 1 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 2 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 5 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 6 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 7 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 10 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
Dunmow Broadcast editor, Barry Hunt, was also delighted to announce the winners of the paper's competition to win the use of a truck for the precession. All entrants had to do was submit the best idea based on the carnival theme of Magic, Mystery and Fantasy.
The Dunmow Singers stole the prize with a wonderful theme based on the Wizard of Oz and they will be now singing their way through the streets on Saturday.
Chairman of the group Margaret Foakes said: "We are delighted and we cannot wait to get the truck ready for the big day."
Send us your photos and your opinions to describe how the day went for you. E-mail us at nick.thompson @archant.co.uk