Gardens ready for open days
SIX private gardens in the Dunmow area will be thrown open to the public this spring. The National Garden Scheme selects hundreds of residential gardens every year to be opened for public viewings. Last year visitors raised more than �3m for charities inc
SIX private gardens in the Dunmow area will be thrown open to the public this spring.
The National Garden Scheme selects hundreds of residential gardens every year to be opened for public viewings. Last year visitors raised more than �3m for charities including Marie Curie Cancer Care, Macmillan Cancer Support, Help the Hospices and Crossroads.
In Essex alone, 12,000 visitors raised over �67,000.
NGS Essex County Organiser, Susan Copeland, said: "Last year was marvellous and I was overwhelmed by the amount raised for charity by Essex garden owners. Our target this year is �75,000.
You may also want to watch:
"We had 12,000 visitors - why not join them in the year ahead and enjoy cost effective yet wonderful, relaxing days out?"
This year there will be six gardens near Dunmow opened up to the public by their owners. Three are opening for the first time, creating 16 days in total for garden lovers to enjoy.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 7 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 8 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
The new gardens on the list are Snares Hill Cottage, near Stebbing, The Granary in Great Easton and North End Place.
Snares Hill is a peaceful garden in a romantic setting and has a stunning natural swimming pool and many other features. It opens on Sunday June 21 and September 13 with home made teas on offer.
The Granary on Dunmow Road is a delightful one-acre garden lovingly created by the owners. It opens on Bank Holiday Monday, May 25.
North End Place is an impressive seven-acre garden surrounding a Georgian house, which will open on the May Bank Holiday weekend and also during June and August.
Two gardens at Stebbing - 19 Brookfields and St Helens - will also be re-opening, as is Church Cottage in Little Easton.
The NGS Essex County leaflet is available free from libraries, Tourist Information Centres and some garden centres, or by contacting Mrs Copeland at email@example.com .
It has full details of all the opening dates of every garden, a map, comprehensive descriptions of each garden and directions.
The NGS website www.ngs.org.uk has full details of all open gardens.