GALLERY: Snow storm hits Dunmow
SNOW has caused disruption to Great Dunmow residents today, but tonight s Late Night Shopping Event is still on. As around four to five inches fell all over Uttlesford, schools closed, drivers slid around and people stayed indoors. More snow is also forec
SNOW has caused disruption to Great Dunmow residents today, but tonight's Late Night Shopping Event is still on.
As around four to five inches fell all over Uttlesford, schools closed, drivers slid around and people stayed indoors. More snow is also forecast for later.
Great Dunmow's Mill Lane became a virtual ice-rink for motorists as many struggled to get up the hill without a helpful push from passersby.
School children came out to play on Talberds Ley as the Helena Romanes School closed for the day.
You may also want to watch:
Hopeful shopkeepers spread salt on their store entrances but not many shoppers have ventured into town as White Street car park was empty throughout the morning.
The Late Night Shopping Event in the town centre scheduled for 6.30pm tonight is not under threat according to its organisers.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 7 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 8 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
North Essex is understood to be one of the worst hit areas, and the county's police force said they have attended over 180 snow-related incidents before 5am, including 20 road collisions, 25 fallen power cables and 16 downed trees.
Chief Inspector John Dodman said: "None of the incidents was serious but there are reports of drivers sleeping in cars and vehicles being abandoned.