Gallery: Great Dunmow's largest women volunteer group celebrates in style
SIXTY glorious years of Great Dunmow s largest volunteer group for women were celebrated in style last week. The town s Inner Wheel Group invited current and past members to the Green Man in Lindsell for an afternoon-walk down memory lane. Following a del
SIXTY glorious years of Great Dunmow's largest volunteer group for women were celebrated in style last week.
The town's Inner Wheel Group invited current and past members to the Green Man in Lindsell for an afternoon-walk down memory lane.
Following a delicious lunch, past president Sheila Lipson gave a short talk simply entitled 'Sixty Glorious Years', in which she recounted stories about club outings, national conferences attended by members, and the wonderful friendships which had been made through contacts in this country and overseas.
She said: "We have numerous activities at the club, but the greatest benefit of all has come from following the motto of the movement - Friendship and Service.
"The third objective - to foster international understanding between nations - has also always featured prominently in the activities of our club.
"Examples are the support given to George and Marion Mills with their aid to the victims of Chernobyl, and to Felsted Aid for their work in eastern block counties and beyond."
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 6 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 7 Festive season begins at Great Dunmow's Christmas Market
- 8 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 9 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 10 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
She added: "Suppers with strong international themes, such as Ukrainian, Chinese, and Indian have been held annually for several years through which funds had been raised to support overseas charities."
Current president of the club Jane Askew welcomed the main guest for the Wednesday afternoon lunch, district chairman Beryl Balls from the Inner Wheel Club of Mersea Island, who dined with the members and congratulated them on reaching their landmark.
To conclude the occasion a special poem, written by past member Hilda Stock, was read out.
Hilda's Poem for the Inner Wheel ladies
Sixty years are diamond years,
A jewel in everyone's eyes
Our aim is always to do our best
Not to try to reach for the skies
To help our friends from all over the world
whose needs are greater than ours,
Remember always after a storm
The sunshine follows the showers.
Friendship and service are wonderful things
All Inner Wheel friends will agree
We must work harder for many more years
And a happier world we will see.