GALLERY: Children bring characters to life on World Book Day
- Credit: Cassie Stone
From Thomas the Tank Engine to Matilda, young ones from schools and nurseries in Dunmow had some memorable costumes this World Book Day...
Year five Nell Stone, 10, from Stebbing Primary school, went to classes as Fantastic Mrs Fox.
Thaxted Primary School became Oz for the day, as Tiffany Harris, 8, dressed up as Dorothy.
Jake Twilley, 6, gave the Flitch Green Academy a Flat Stanley for a day.
St Margaret's Preparatory School, Gosfield had an impressive range of characters. The school's students shared book reviews in assembly and took part in 'Book Speed Chat' events, similar to speed dating. Years three to six moved around in a circle and had 30 seconds to try and convince the person next to them to read their favourite book. Children and staff have either dressed as a character from their favourite book, or come in pyjamas and brought in their favourite bedtime book!
You may also want to watch:
World Book Day, a charity funded by publishers and booksellers in UK and Ireland, launched a national challenge to make March 5, 2020, a "reading revolution".
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history