Fuel poverty project launched in Thaxted
THAXTED Parish Council has teamed up with the Uttlesford Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) to assist vulnerable members of the community in tackling the problem of fuel poverty. The Government defines fuel poverty as a household which spends more than 10 per
THAXTED Parish Council has teamed up with the Uttlesford Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) to assist vulnerable members of the community in tackling the problem of fuel poverty.
The Government defines fuel poverty as a 'household which spends more than 10 per cent of its income on maintaining a satisfactory heating regime in the home'. In the UK it is estimated that, with the recent rises in unemployment together with a dramatic increase in fuel costs, more than four million homes will be in fuel poverty this winter.
However, Thaxted is bidding to counter that by running its fuel poverty project - residents are given a 45-minute appointment with a trained CAB advisor on whether their domestic energy costs can be reduced.
During a pilot run, volunteers were given advice to either switch their energy supplier or 'challenge' the existing supplier to price match the cost of supply from a competitor. Savings in excess of �200 per annum have already been achieved in some households.
The scheme is also offering impartial advice on energy saving measures, such as cavity wall and loft insulation which can noticeably reduce a household's energy costs and are eligible for Government grants of 50 to 100 per cent.
The fuel poverty project will be running until the end of March. If you live in or around Thaxted, contact Thaxted parish clerk, Julie Abel, on 01371 831952 or the Thaxted Community Information Centre on 01371 831641 to make an appointment.
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 8 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 9 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
- 10 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
Appointments with a trained advisor are free, confidential and impartial and are held on Tuesday mornings in the community information centre.
* AN election will be held on February 25 for a councillor to fill the current vacancy on Thaxted Parish Council. The position was created following the resignation of Richard Hingston in November.
Nomination papers, which can be obtained from Uttlesford District Council or Thaxted Parish Council, must be delivered to the district council offices by no later than 12noon tomorrow (Friday January 29). A statement of persons nominated will be published on February 2010.