Former landlady celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A former landlady of a Great Dunmow pub relived the “happiest times of her life” when she went back behind the bar to celebrate her 100th birthday.
Staff at Fulton’s Chop House, on Market Place, hosted an afternoon tea and put on a tour of the building for Violet Holden, of The Downs, along with her family and friends, to mark the big occasion on Sunday.
The day-out brought back many “happy memories” for Mrs Holden, who was the landlady for around 25 years when it was known as The Star Inn.
Mrs Holden, who was married to her husband Ernest for 52 years until his death in 1985, told the Broadcast: “It was very nice and we joined in with all the fun. It brought back many happy memories,” adding, “I remember my grandson learning to walk there.”
Running the bar is the highlight of Mrs Holden’s life, according to her son, Don. The 64-year-old said that his mum, who had four children and has three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren, loved meeting and talking to all the customers.
You may also want to watch:
And on Sunday it was just like the old times when she was back behind the bar to pull a pint.
Her grandson, Steve Harvey, owner of Don’s of Dunmow, thanked the staff at Fulton’s Chop House for their hospitality.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 10 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
He said: “The staff were great. We really want to express our thanks. They let us look around the building and we went up to the old bedrooms. It brought back lots of memories.”