Former Dunmow school governor on sex charges
- Credit: Archant
A former chairman of governors at a Great Dunmow school has been charged with sex offences against children.
Edward Ryan, 66, of Venmore Drive, Dunmow, is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates Court on Wednesday, June 8.
He was a governor at Helena Romanes School for 16 years from September 1999 until he stepped down in October 2015.
Mr Ryan has been charged with six separate offences. These include sexual touching of a girl under the age of 13, one count of making indecent images of a child and one count of possessing extreme pornographic images.
The offences are alleged to have happened while Mr Ryan was employed at a school in Harlow, which cannot be named for legal reasons.
Mr Ryan resigned from his post at Helena Romanes in October. The offences he is charged with are unconnected to the Dunmow school.
Simon Knight, Helena Romanes headteacher, told the Broadcast: “Mr Ryan resigned his role as chair of governors in October 2015, severing all links with the school from that time.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 3 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 4 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 5 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 6 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 7 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 8 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 9 Aythorpe Roding come up short in league opener
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
“I would like to assure parents that this matter is completely unconnected to this school.
“We take the safety and wellbeing of our pupils extremely seriously and we have robust safeguarding procedures in place. School governors never work unsupervised with students.”