Footballer on Deal or No Deal game show
GOOD Friday turned into a really good Friday for a Dunmow footballer after appearing on Channel 4 s Deal or No Deal. Mark Wood who plays for Dunmow Town Football Club appeared on Noel Edmonds Easter special version of the popular game show on Friday after
GOOD Friday turned into a really good Friday for a Dunmow footballer after appearing on Channel 4's Deal or No Deal.
Mark Wood who plays for Dunmow Town Football Club appeared on Noel Edmonds Easter special version of the popular game show on Friday afternoon.
He won £7500 despite knocking out the two highest prizes in the first round and held up a squad photograph showing his team-mates' 'dodgy haircuts' in the process.
Deal or No Deal is a gameshow where contestants eliminate boxes with cash prizes in.
You may also want to watch:
Participants receive regular offers by telephone from a man known as 'the banker' and they can either choose to except the offer or go on and open the final box to win whatever is inside.
Prizes range from £250,000 to just one pence.
- 1 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 2 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 3 Tens of thousands of pounds worth of horse riding gear stolen in High Easter
- 4 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 'This is my life version 2.0' - Doctor marks Covid anniversary with fundraising efforts
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
- 9 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
Mark's highest offer was £12,000, which he refused, carrying on until the fourth round of selection before finally accepting £7500.
TV fame is not something new to him though, he explained on the show to presenter Noel Edmonds, pictured right, as he was engaged to former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham 11 years ago and appeared on the channel Five documentary Victoria Beckham's Secrets.
On Victoria Beckham he said: "I only agreed to go on the show if they didn't use that.
"It came up, but Noel professionally brushed over it. I made it clear that if they wanted to use it I wouldn't go on the show."
Self employed CCTV systems installer Mark lives in Harlow with his wife Leslie and hadn't had any work for three weeks prior to the filming of the show last February.
After winning £7500 Mark decided that his first purchase would be a watch. He said: "I had always wanted to buy this Italian designer watch, which costs and arm and a leg. It will be a great reminder of the show."
On Dunmow he said: "The football lads are great. They were well chuffed that I had shown the squad picture on telly.
"We had a game the day after the show and it was great to chat in traffic afterwards about the show."
Dunmow Town Football Club chairman Mark Seton said: "Mark is a great lad and used to play first team football before joining the veterans' team.
"I didn't actually see the show on Friday, but hope he didn't hold up a picture of me.